Irina Balaur (born Roznovăţ)
Irina Balaur is a Researcher at the EISBM, working on the development of analytics tools for translational medicine using network-based approaches (eTRIKS – IMI 115446 project). She holds a PhD in Computational Biology from Dublin City University, Ireland and she has worked on development of a multi-scale computational model for colon cancer dynamics. Before PhD, she worked as a software developer at Continental Automotive Romania, for three years. She organised a workshop and a special session during IEEE BIBM 2014, (Belfast, UK, Nov. 2014) and ISMB/ECCB 2015, (Dublin, Ireland, July 2015) and was a guest editor of a special issue on “Computational Models & Methods in Systems Biology & Medicine ” (December 2015) of the IET Systems Biology Journal. She is a co-organizer of a special group of interest meeting on “Translational Medicine Informatics & Applications“ at the ISMB 2016 (Orlando, US, July 2016).
Systems Medicine, Computational Modelling, Machine Learning
- 2014 – Ph.D. in Computational Biology, from Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland
- 2008 – Bachelors in Computer Science, Faculty of Computer Science, « Alexandru I. Cuza » University, Iasi, Romania
Areas of Expertise/Interest
- Complex systems modelling (cancer, epigenetics, neurodegenerative disorders)
- Translational medicine informatics
- Machine learning, Agent-based modeling, Network-based analytics
- Concurrent programming
- Saqi M, Pellet J, Roznovăţ I, Mazein A, Ballereau S, De Meulder B, Auffray C. Systems Medicine: The Future of Medical Genomics, Healthcare, and Wellness. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1386:43-60. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-3283-2_3. PubMed PMID: 26677178.
- Roznovăţ, I. and Ruskin, H.J. (2015), A Theoretical Cross-Comparative Analysis on Dynamics of Small Intestine and Colon Crypts during Cancer Initiation, IET Systems Biology 9(6), pp. 259 –267; DOI: 10.1049/iet-syb.2015.0048: Special Issue on ‘Computational Models & Methods in Systems Biology & Medicine’
- Ruskin, H.J. and Roznovăţ, I. (2015), Computational Models & Methods in Systems Biology & Medicine – Editorial, IET Systems Biology 9(6), p. 217; DOI: 10.1049/iet-syb.2015.0078: Special Issue on ’Computational Models & Methods in Systems Biology & Medicine’
- Ruskin, H.J., Perrin, D. and Roznovăţ, I., Building Cross-Scale Models of Epigenetic Mechanisms, Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE BIBM, Belfast, UK, November 2-5, 2014, pp. 30-37. DOI: 10.1109/BIBM.2014.6999256
- Roznovăţ, I. (2014), A Computational Model for Colon Cancer Dynamics, School of Computing, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland