Bertrand De Meulder
Since starting my university studies in ecology, I’ve always been interested in tackling the complexity of life in all its forms. Studying bioinformatics gave me the tools needed to start working on that vast and very exciting subject. Now, with the help and guidance of the EISBM team, we are starting to look at life through the lens of omics measurements, which are to my mind the closest representation available of what is actually happening inside a cell or a tissue. Careful data analysis, combined with powerful representation and interpretation tools, is the key to make scientists able to look into the details of the complex machinery of life, learn how it works and how it is perturbed in a disease condition. More exciting time ahead!
Bioinformatics, Statistics, Tools, Asthma
- 2013 – Ph.D. in Biology, from Namur University, Belgium
- 2008 – Master in Bioinformatics and Modelisation, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
- 2007 – Licence in Biological Sciences from Namur University, Belgium
- 2005 – Bachelors in Biological Sciences from Namur University, Belgium
Areas of Expertise/Interest
- Ecophysiology and ecotoxycology
- Cancer and metastasis biology
- Biostatistics and bioinformatics
- High dimensional data sets
- Data integration
- R programming
- Network analysis
- Saqi M, Pellet J, Roznovat I, Mazein A, Ballereau S, De Meulder B, Auffray C. Systems Medicine: The Future of Medical Genomics, Healthcare, and Wellness. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1386:43-60. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-3283-2_3. PubMed PMID: 26677178.
- De Meulder B*, Lefaudeux D, Bigler J, Loza MJ, Wheelock C, Sousa AR, Corfield J, Baribaud F, Auffray C, Shaw DE, Horvath I, Musial J, Chanez P, Krug N, Montuschi P, Bakke PS, Singer F, Fowler SJ, Dahlen S-E, Sandström T, Sterk PJ, Chung KF, Adcock IM, Djukanovic R: The first U-BIOPRED blood handprint of severe asthma; European Respiratory Journal, 2015, 46, supp 59.
- De Meulder B*, Berger F*, Bareke E, Depiereux S, Michiels C, Depiereux E: Meta-analysis and gene set analysis of archived microarrays suggest implication of the spliceosome in metastatic and hypoxic phenotypes; PLoS one, 2014, 9, 1.
- Tu HT, Silvestre F, De Meulder B, Thome JP, Phuong NT, Kestemont P: Combined effects of deltamethrin, temperature and salinity on oxidative stress biomarkers and acetylcholinesterase activity in the black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon); Chemosphere, 2012, 86, 1.
- De Hertogh B*, De Meulder B*, Berger F, Pierre M, Bareke E, Gaigneaux A, Depiereux E: A benchmark for statistical microarray data analysis that preserves actual biological and technical variance; BMC bioinformatics, 2010, 11, 1.